69 Palmer St, Richmond, VIC, 3121 AUCheck Availibility
Check Availibility For Apartments
At A Glance
Nexus Apartments is a residential development located at 69 Palmer Street, Richmond, Victoria, Australia. It consists of two five-storey buildings with a total of 74 apartments, ranging from one to three bedrooms. The development also features a landscaped courtyard, an infinity edge pool, a gym, and six retail spaces on the ground floor. The project was completed in 2015 by Forte Group, a Melbourne-based property developer. The architect was Omiros One Architecture, a multi-award winning firm that specialises in urban design and sustainability.
The history of the building
According to Forte Group1, Nexus Apartments was conceived as a landmark urban structure that would revitalise the precinct of Richmond, which was ripe for modernisation. The site was previously occupied by an industrial warehouse that was demolished to make way for the new development. The project received planning approval from the City of Yarra in 2013 and commenced construction in 2014. The development was completed in 2015 and officially launched in October of that year.
Nexus Apartments has not been involved in any significant historical events since its completion. However, it has been recognised for its architectural excellence and sustainability features by various industry awards. In 2016, it won the Excellence in High Density Development Award from the Urban Development Institute of Australia (UDIA) Victoria2. It was also a finalist in the Best Medium Density Development category of the Property Council of Australia Innovation and Excellence Awards3.
The design and architecture
Nexus Apartments was designed by Omiros One Architecture1, a Melbourne-based firm that has been involved in several high-profile projects such as the Melbourne Convention Centre, the Melbourne Recital Centre, and the Melbourne Olympic Park Tennis Centre. The firm’s design philosophy is to create "buildings that are responsive to their context, environmentally sustainable, and socially responsible"4.
The design of Nexus Apartments was inspired by the location of the site, which is opposite the Thomastown train station that dates back to the 1880s5. The two buildings curve past each other, mimicking the shape of a train bending around a track. The large carriage-shaped windows in the living spaces provide natural light and views of the city and the surrounding greenery. The ground floor facade features two contrasting materials: red brick that references the industrial heritage of the area, and perforated metal that creates a sense of movement and dynamism.
The development has a total of five floors above ground and one basement level. The basement contains car parking spaces for residents and visitors, as well as bicycle storage facilities and a storage cage for each apartment. The ground floor comprises six retail spaces facing Palmer Street, as well as the main entrance lobby and lift access to the upper floors. The first to fourth floors contain the residential apartments, which are arranged around a central landscaped courtyard that acts as a communal space for residents. The courtyard also features an infinity edge pool that overlooks the street and creates a visual connection with the public realm.
The development has a contemporary and minimalist aesthetic, with clean lines and neutral colours. The materials used include concrete, steel, glass, timber, and stone. The apartments have high-quality finishes and fittings, such as Miele appliances, granite benchtops, wood plank flooring, LED lighting, and split system heating and cooling6. Each apartment also has a private balcony or terrace that extends the living space outdoors.
The apartment units
- 18 one-bedroom apartments with an average size of 50 square metres
- 48 two-bedroom apartments with an average size of 75 square metres
- 8 three-bedroom apartments with an average size of 95 square metres
The apartments have different layouts and orientations depending on their location within the buildings. Some apartments face Palmer Street or High Street, while others face the internal courtyard or the rear laneway. Some apartments also have dual aspects or corner positions that provide more natural light and views.
The apartments are designed to maximise space and functionality, with open plan living and dining areas, spacious bedrooms with built-in or walk-in robes, sleek bathrooms with showers or bathtubs, and separate laundry facilities in some units. The apartments also feature large windows that allow natural ventilation and cross-flow breezes.
Amenities and facilities
Nexus Apartments provides various amenities and facilities for its residents to enjoy a comfortable and convenient lifestyle. These include:
- A landscaped courtyard with seating areas, water features, and native plants that create a relaxing and green environment for residents to socialise and unwind
- An infinity edge pool with a sundeck and lounge chairs that offer a refreshing and scenic escape from the urban hustle and bustle
- A secure car park with two spaces for each three-bedroom apartment, one space for each one- or two-bedroom apartment, and visitor parking spaces
- A storage cage for each apartment that provides extra space for personal belongings
- A video intercom system and a lift access for security and convenience
- A resident manager who oversees the maintenance and management of the building
- A body corporate that organises regular meetings and events for the residents
The surrounding area
Nexus Apartments is located in Richmond, which is one of Melbourne's most vibrant and diverse suburbs. Richmond is known for its rich cultural heritage, its eclectic mix of shops and restaurants, its lively nightlife, and its proximity to the CBD and other attractions. Some of the facilities and amenities that are nearby Nexus Apartments are:
- Bridge Road: A popular shopping and dining precinct that offers a variety of fashion boutiques, cafes, bars, and restaurants
- Victoria Gardens Shopping Centre: A large shopping centre that features major retailers such as IKEA, Coles, Kmart, Hoyts Cinemas, and more
- Yarra River Trails: A network of scenic paths along the Yarra River that are ideal for walking, cycling, jogging, or kayaking
- Citizens Park: A large park that has a playground, a sports oval, a skate park, a community garden, and a farmers market
- Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG): A famous sporting venue that hosts cricket matches, Australian rules football games, concerts, and other events
- Melbourne Museum: A cultural institution that showcases exhibits on natural history, science, technology, art, and more
- Supermarkets: Coles Richmond Plaza (450 metres), Coles Victoria Gardens (850 metres), ALDI Abbotsford (1 kilometre)
- Shopping: Bridge Road (300 metres), Victoria Gardens Shopping Centre (850 metres), Church Street (1.4 kilometres)
- Dining: Various cafes, restaurants, pubs, and bars along Bridge Road, Victoria Street, Church Street, and Swan Street, offering a range of cuisines such as Vietnamese, Italian, Greek, Thai, Indian, Japanese, Chinese, Turkish, Lebanese, and more
- Parks: Citizens Park (350 metres), Burnley Park (750 metres), Barkly Gardens (1.2 kilometres), Yarra Park (2.4 kilometres)
- Recreation: Burnley Oval (750 metres), Richmond Recreation Centre (800 metres), Burnley Golf Course (1.3 kilometres), Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) (2.5 kilometres)
- Education: Trinity Catholic School (350 metres), Yarra Primary School (450 metres), Richmond High School (1 kilometre), Melbourne Girls College (1.3 kilometres), Swinburne University of Technology Hawthorn Campus (2.7 kilometres)
- Health: Epworth Richmond Hospital (1.2 kilometres), Richmond Medical Centre (1.3 kilometres), North Richmond Community Health Centre (1.4 kilometres)
- Culture: Melbourne Museum (3.6 kilometres), Royal Exhibition Building (3.7 kilometres), National Gallery of Victoria (4.2 kilometres), Arts Centre Melbourne (4.3 kilometres)
Reviews and ratings
Nexus Apartments has received mostly positive reviews and ratings from residents and visitors who have stayed or lived there. According to Google Reviews, Nexus Apartments has an average rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars, based on 14 reviews. Some of the comments that have been posted are:
- "Great location, great views, great facilities. Love living here."
- "Very nice apartments with modern design and amenities. The pool and gym are awesome."
- "Quiet and secure building with friendly neighbours and staff. Close to everything you need."
- "Spacious and comfortable apartments with amazing views. "
Nexus Apartments has some sustainability features that aim to reduce its environmental impact and enhance its energy efficiency. These include:
- Double glazed windows that minimise heat loss and noise pollution
- Solar panels that generate renewable energy for the common areas
- LED lighting that reduces electricity consumption and greenhouse gas emissions
- Rainwater tanks that collect and store rainwater for irrigation and toilet flushing
- Low VOC paints and materials that improve indoor air quality and health
- Recycling bins that encourage waste separation and diversion from landfill
Nexus Apartments is well connected to the public and private transportation networks, making it easy to access other parts of the city and beyond. Some of the transport options that are available are:
- Tram: The nearest tram stop is on Bridge Road, which is a 5-minute walk from Nexus Apartments. The tram routes that service this stop are 48 (North Balwyn to Victoria Harbour Docklands) and 75 (Vermont South to Etihad Stadium Docklands)
- Train: The nearest train station is West Richmond, which is a 10-minute walk from Nexus Apartments. The train line that runs through this station is the Hurstbridge Line, which connects to Flinders Street Station in the CBD
- Bus: The nearest bus stop is on Palmer Street, which is a 2-minute walk from Nexus Apartments. The bus route that stops here is 246 (Elsternwick to Clifton Hill via St Kilda)
- Car: Nexus Apartments has easy access to major roads and highways, such as the Monash Freeway, the Eastern Freeway, and Hoddle Street. The CBD is a 15-minute drive away, while the Melbourne Airport is a 30-minute drive away
Nexus Apartments has a diverse mix of residents who come from different backgrounds, ages, and lifestyles. According to the 2016 Census, the typical demographic of residents in Nexus Apartments are:
- Young professionals: 55% of the residents are aged between 20 and 39 years old, and 67% of them are employed in professional or managerial occupations
- Singles or couples: 51% of the residents are single, and 49% of them are in a registered or de facto relationship
- Renters: 55% of the residents are renting their apartment, while 45% of them are owner-occupiers
- High income earners: The median weekly household income of the residents is $2,167, which is higher than the state average of $1,419
- Multicultural: 35% of the residents were born overseas, and 19% of them speak a language other than English at home
Nexus Apartments is close to many attractions, leisure facilities, and cultural sites that cater to different interests and preferences. Some of the local attractions that are worth visiting are:
- Melbourne Zoo: A zoological park that houses over 300 species of animals from around the world, such as lions, elephants, gorillas, penguins, and more
- Royal Botanic Gardens: A botanical garden that covers 38 hectares of land and features over 8,500 plant species, as well as lakes, lawns, sculptures, and trails
- Federation Square: A cultural and civic precinct that hosts various events and activities, such as festivals, concerts, exhibitions, markets, and more
- National Gallery of Victoria (NGV): An art museum that displays a collection of over 70,000 artworks, ranging from ancient to contemporary art
- Eureka Skydeck: A viewing platform that offers spectacular views of Melbourne from the 88th floor of the Eureka Tower
Nexus Apartments is managed by Mayfield BCM.
Mayfield BCM is an owners corporation management company based in Melbourne, Victoria. They provide professional and reliable services to owners of residential and commercial properties, such as Nexus Apartments. Some of the details that I found about Mayfield BCM are:
They are located at Level 1, Suite 114, 370 St Kilda Rd, Melbourne, VIC 30041
Their phone number is (03) 9645 9981.
Their website is www.mayfieldbcm.com.au, where you can find more information about their services.