38 Bank Street, South Melbourne, VIC, 3205 AUCheck Availibility
Check Availibility For Apartments
At A Glance
1. The history of the building
- Capri is a residential apartment building located at 38 Bank Street, South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia1.
- It was built in 2000 by Central Equity, a Melbourne-based property developer2.
- The architect of the building was Fender Katsalidis Architects, a Melbourne-based architectural firm3.
- The building was one of the first in Melbourne to feature a curved glass facade and a metallic blue exterior3.
- The building was also one of the first in Melbourne to offer a 24-hour concierge service and a heated indoor pool for its residents2.
2. The design and architecture
- Capri is a contemporary and elegant apartment building that features a curved glass facade and a metallic blue exterior.
- The building has 19 floors and 209 apartment units.
- The building has a simple and symmetrical form that contrasts with the curved and organic shape of the facade.
- The building also has a large circular window on the top floor, which adds a touch of interest and lightness to the skyline.
3. The apartment units
- The apartment units in Capri range from one-bedroom to three-bedroom configurations, with sizes from 50 sqm to 150 sqm.
- The units have open-plan living and dining areas, balconies, built-in wardrobes, ensuites, and euro laundries.
- The units also have modern kitchens with granite benchtops, stainless steel appliances, and dishwashers.
- The units have split-system heating and cooling, double glazing, and roller blinds for comfort and convenience.
4. Amenities and facilities
- Capri offers a range of amenities and facilities for its residents, such as:
- A 24-hour concierge service, which provides security, assistance, and convenience.
- A heated indoor lap pool, a spa, and a sauna, which are located on the ground floor and are accessible to all residents.
- A fully equipped gymnasium, which is located on the first floor and is available for all residents.
- A secure car park, which is located on the basement levels and has one space allocated for each unit (not stacker parking).
- A bicycle storage area, which is located on the basement levels and has space for up to 50 bikes.
5. The surrounding area
- Capri is situated in the lively and charming neighbourhood of South Melbourne, which is one of Melbourne’s oldest and most historic suburbs.
- The surrounding area offers a variety of facilities and amenities for residents, such as:
- Supermarkets, such as Woolworths, Coles, Aldi, and IGA, which are within walking distance or a short drive from the building.
- Shopping centres, such as South Melbourne Market, Clarendon Centre, Southgate, South Wharf DFO, Melbourne Central, Emporium, and Bourke Street Mall, which are within easy reach by public transport or car from the building.
- Dining options, such as cafes, restaurants, bars, pubs, and clubs, which cater to different cuisines, tastes, and budgets in the nearby streets or along the Yarra River.
- Parks and gardens, such as Albert Park Lake, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kings Domain, Flagstaff Gardens, and Treasury Gardens, which offer green spaces, recreational facilities, and scenic views in the vicinity of the building.
6. Reviews and ratings
- Capri has received mostly positive reviews and ratings from its residents and visitors, who have praised its location, views, amenities, design, and management.
- Some of the common compliments given by reviewers are:
- “Excellent location close to everything”
- “Beautiful views of the city and the lake”
- “Spacious and stylish apartments with quality fittings”
- “Friendly and helpful concierge staff”
- “Well-maintained and clean building”
7. Sustainability Features
- Capri has some sustainability features that aim to reduce its environmental impact and enhance its energy efficiency, such as:
- A double glazing system, which reduces heat loss and gain through the windows, improving the thermal comfort and performance of the units.
- A split-system heating and cooling system, which allows residents to control the temperature of their units individually, reducing energy wastage and costs.
- A waste management system, which includes separate bins for general waste, recycling, and green waste, as well as a chute system that allows residents to dispose of their rubbish conveniently and hygienically.
- A water-efficient landscaping, which uses drought-tolerant plants and mulch to reduce water usage and evaporation in the garden areas around the building.
8. Transport Accessibility
- Capri is highly accessible by both public and private transportation, as it is located close to major roads, bridges, freeways, and public transport hubs, such as:
- Bank Street, which is a main arterial road that connects South Melbourne to the CBD and other suburbs.
- West Gate Freeway, which is a major freeway that links South Melbourne to the western suburbs, the airport, and regional Victoria.
- Kings Way, which is a major road that connects South Melbourne to the southern suburbs, the bay, and the Mornington Peninsula.
- Queens Bridge, which is a historic bridge that crosses the Yarra River and connects South Melbourne to the CBD and Docklands.
- Flinders Street Station, which is a major railway station that serves the CBD and the metropolitan network.
- Southern Cross Station, which is a major railway station that serves the CBD and the regional network.
- Tram routes 1, 12, 58, 96, and 109, which run along Park Street, Clarendon Street, Kings Way, Spencer Street, and Collins Street respectively, and provide access to various destinations in the CBD and beyond.
- Bus routes 216, 219, 220, 234, 236, 605, and 606, which run along Park Street, Kings Way, Queens Bridge Street, Flinders Street, and Bank Street respectively, and provide access to various destinations in the inner and outer suburbs.
9. Resident Demographics
- The typical demographic of residents in Capri is young professionals, who are attracted by the location, lifestyle, and convenience of living in South Melbourne.
- According to the 2016 Census data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS), the median age of residents in Capri was 30 years, compared to 35 years for Melbourne overall.
- The majority of residents in Capri were born overseas (64%), with the most common countries of birth being China (14%), India (8%), Malaysia (5%), Indonesia (4%), and England (4%).
- The most common languages spoken at home by residents in Capri were English (57%), Mandarin (11%), Cantonese (4%), Indonesian (3%), and Hindi (3%).
- The most common occupations of residents in Capri were professionals (38%), managers (15%), clerical and administrative workers (13%), community and personal service workers (10%), and sales workers (8%).
- The most common industries of employment of residents in Capri were professional scientific and technical services (14%), accommodation and food services (12%), financial and insurance services (10%), health care and social assistance (9%), and education and training (8%).
10. Local Attractions
- Capri is surrounded by a variety of local attractions that offer entertainment, leisure, culture, and education for residents and visitors alike, such as:
- South Melbourne Market, which is a historic market that sells fresh produce, gourmet food, clothing, homewares, arts and crafts2.
- Albert Park Lake, which is a large lake that hosts various sporting events such as the Australian Grand Prix2.
- South Melbourne Town Hall, which is a heritage-listed building that houses the Australian National Academy of Music2.
- Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre (MSAC) , which is a world-class sports facility that offers swimming pools, diving boards, gymnasiums2.
- Shrine of Remembrance, which is a war memorial that commemorates the service and sacrifice of Australians in armed conflicts2.
- Royal Botanic Gardens, which is a beautiful garden that showcases over 8,500 plant species from around the world2.
11. Body Corporation
- The body corporation that runs Capri is MICM Owners Corporation, which is a division of MICM Real Estate.
- MICM Owners Corporation provides services such as building management, maintenance, insurance, administration, financial management, dispute resolution, and compliance for Capri and other properties in Melbourne.
- MICM Owners Corporation can be contacted at:
- Phone: (03) 9697 8888
- Address: 178 City Road, Southbank VIC 3006