Are you ready for some of the best tennis action in the world? The 2024 Australian Open is set to be one of the most exciting editions ever, with a stellar lineup of top players and an expanded 15-day schedule. Whether you want to watch it live or online, you don’t want to miss this amazing event.
In this article, we will provide you with all the key details on the tournament dates, format changes, player lineup, prize money, how to watch, and more. Read on to find out everything you need to know about the Australian Open 2024.
- 1 Key Takeaways
- 2 What is the Australian Open?
- 3 Key Dates and Schedule
- 4 Format and Venue Changes
- 5 Exciting Player Lineup
- 6 Prize Money
- 7 Ranking Points
- 8 How to Watch on TV and Online
- 9 Best Accommodation for Australian Open 2024
- 10 Ticket Options
- 11 What else do I need to know and how to enjoy the Australian Open 2024?
- 12 Conclusion
|Australian Open 2024||Sunday 14 January – Sunday 28 January||Melbourne Park, Melbourne, Australia||Book tickets online via Ticketmaster.com.au|
|Opening Week||Sunday 14 January – Saturday 20 January||Rod Laver Arena, Margaret Court Arena, John Cain Arena, and outdoor courts||Watch the world’s best players prepare for the AO, enjoy live music, art installations, kids zones, and more|
|AO Courtside Bar||Sunday 14 January – Sunday 28 January||Next to Court 6||Enjoy a premium bar and lounge area, as well as a reserved seat in Rod Laver Arena|
|Rafael Nadal’s comeback||TBC||Rod Laver Arena and other courts||Cheer for the 20-time Grand Slam champion as he returns from injury and aims to break the record for the most Grand Slam titles in men’s history|
|Aryna Sabalenka’s defense||TBC||Rod Laver Arena and other courts||Support the reigning AO champion as she tries to repeat her success and prove her dominance in women’s tennis|
What is the Australian Open?
The Australian Open is one of the four major tennis tournaments in the world, along with the French Open, Wimbledon, and the US Open. It is also known as the Grand Slam of the Asia-Pacific, as it is the only Grand Slam held in the southern hemisphere and attracts a large and diverse audience from across the region.
The Australian Open is held every year in January, at Melbourne Park, which is located in the heart of Melbourne’s CBD. The tournament features some of the best players in the world, competing in singles, doubles, and mixed doubles events, as well as junior, wheelchair, and exhibition matches.
The Australian Open is also known for its innovation and entertainment, as it offers a variety of features and benefits for fans and players alike, such as:
- The first Grand Slam to introduce electronic line calling and instant replay
- The first Grand Slam to use blue hard courts instead of green
- The first Grand Slam to have three retractable roofs over its main venues
- The first Grand Slam to have a dedicated fan zone with live music, art installations, kids zones, etc.
- The first Grand Slam to have a night session for the final matches
- The first Grand Slam to have a new start date and format for 2024
Key Dates and Schedule
The Australian Open 2024 will take place from January 14 to January 28, 2024, at Melbourne Park in Melbourne, Australia. The tournament will start on Sunday instead of Monday, which means that there will be an extra day of action in the opening week. There will be three days of first-round matches instead of two, giving you more chances to see your favorite players in action and more opportunities for upsets and surprises.
The tournament will also have fewer sessions per day, with only two sessions instead of three. This means that there will be fewer matches per session, but more quality matches. This will also reduce the congestion and crowding at Melbourne Park, and allow you more time to enjoy other attractions and activities.
Here is a table that shows the main dates and sessions for the Australian Open 2024:
|Sunday 14 January||Day||11:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Sunday 14 January||Night||7:00 pm – late|
|Monday 15 January||Day||11:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Monday 15 January||Night||7:00 pm – late|
|Tuesday 16 January||Day||11:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Tuesday 16 January||Night||7:00 pm – late|
|Wednesday 17 January||Day||11:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Wednesday 17 January||Night||7:00 pm – late|
|Thursday 18 January||Day||11:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Thursday 18 January||Night||7:00 pm – late|
|Friday 19 January||Day||11:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Friday 19 January||Night||7:00 pm – late|
|Saturday 20 January||Day||11:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Saturday 20 January||Night||7:00 pm – late|
|Sunday 21 January||Day||No matches|
|Sunday 21 January||Night||No matches|
|Monday 22 January||Day||No matches|
|Monday 22 January||Night||No matches|
|Tuesday 23 January||Day||No matches|
|Tuesday 23 January||Night (Quarterfinals)||From 7:30 pm|
|Wednesday 24 January||Day (Quarterfinals)||From noon|
|Wednesday 24 January||Night (Quarterfinals)||From|
|Wednesday 24 January||Day (Quarterfinals)||From noon|
|Wednesday 24 January||Night (Quarterfinals)||From 7:30 pm|
|Thursday 25 January||Day (Semifinals)||From noon|
|Thursday 25 January||Night (Semifinals)||From 7:30 pm|
|Friday 26 January||Day (Mixed Doubles Final)||From noon|
|Friday 26 January||Night (Women’s Singles Final)||From 7:30 pm|
|Saturday 27 January||Day (Women’s Doubles Final)||From noon|
|Saturday 27 January||Night (Men’s Singles Final)||From 7:30 pm|
|Sunday 28 January||Day (Men’s Doubles Final)||From noon|
Format and Venue Changes
The Australian Open 2024 will also have some exciting changes to its format and venues, which will make the event more enjoyable and accessible for fans and players alike. Some of these changes are:
- The tournament will start on Sunday 14 January and run for 15 days until Sunday 28 January. This means that there will be an extra day of action in the opening week, with three days of first-round matches instead of two. This will give more opportunities for fans to see their favorite players in action, as well as more chances for upsets and surprises.
- The AO Courtside Bar, which will be a new feature for the Australian Open 2024. This will be an exclusive area for fans who purchase a Courtside Bar ticket, which will give them access to a premium bar and lounge area, as well as a reserved seat in Rod Laver Arena. The AO Courtside Bar will be located next to Court 6, which is one of the Show Courts where some of the best matches will take place. The AO Courtside Bar will offer fans a unique and comfortable way to watch some of the best tennis in the world, while enjoying some of the best food and drink in Melbourne.
- More shade and seating for fans around the grounds, as the Australian Open 2024 will install more umbrellas and canopies over some of the outdoor courts and practice courts. This will provide more protection from the sun and heat, which can be very intense in Melbourne during summer. The Australian Open 2024 will also add more seats and benches for fans to relax and enjoy the atmosphere. The Australian Open 2024 will also have more water stations and cooling fans for fans to stay hydrated and cool.
- Margaret Court Arena retractable roof to be operational, as the Australian Open 2024 will complete the installation of the retractable roof over Margaret Court Arena, which is the third largest venue at Melbourne Park. This will make Margaret Court Arena an all-weather venue, which can host matches regardless of rain or shine. This will also improve the comfort and experience for fans and players, as they can avoid the extreme weather conditions that can sometimes affect Melbourne in January.
- Fewer matches per day, more space for fans to move around, as the Australian Open 2024 will reduce the number of matches per day from three sessions to two sessions. This means that there will be fewer matches per session, but more quality matches. This will also reduce the congestion and crowding at Melbourne Park, and allow more space for fans to move around and enjoy other attractions and activities.
Exciting Player Lineup
The Australian Open 2024 will feature some of the most exciting players in tennis history, as well as some of the most promising young talents. Here are some of the players to watch out for at the Australian Open 2024:
- Rafael Nadal, who is returning from injury and aiming for his record-breaking 23rd Grand Slam title. Nadal missed most of 2023 with hip and foot injuries, but he has been training hard and looking forward to playing in Melbourne, where he has reached five finals but only won one title in 2009. Nadal is currently tied with Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic for the most Grand Slam titles in men’s history with 20 each, but he has a chance to break the tie and make history at the Australian Open 2024.
- Iga Swiatek, who is trying to cement her No. 1 ranking after a breakout 2022. Swiatek won her second Grand Slam title at Wimbledon in 2022, becoming the first Polish player to win the title. She also reached the semifinals at the US Open and the quarterfinals at the French Open, ending the year as the world No. 1. Swiatek is known for her powerful and aggressive game, as well as her mental toughness and maturity. She will be looking to continue her dominance in women’s tennis at the Australian Open 2024.
- Nick Kyrgios, who is expected to be fit and ready to play at his home Grand Slam. Kyrgios suffered a serious elbow injury in late 2022, which required surgery and put his career in doubt. However, he has been recovering well and hoping to make a comeback at the Australian Open 2024, where he has always been a crowd favorite and a potential contender. Kyrgios is known for his flamboyant and unpredictable game, as well as his charisma and controversy. He will be looking to put on a show and challenge some of the top players at the Australian Open 2024.
- Coco Gauff, who is looking to go deep again at the Australian Open 2024. Gauff reached the semifinals at the Australian Open 2023, becoming the youngest player to do so since Jennifer Capriati in 1991. She also reached the quarterfinals at the French Open and the US Open, ending the year as the world No. 5. Gauff is known for her speed and athleticism, as well as her confidence and composure. She will be looking to challenge some of the best players in women’s tennis at the Australian Open 2024.
- Carlos Alcaraz and Holger Rune, who are gunning for their first Grand Slam title at the Australian Open 2024. Alcaraz and Rune are two of the most promising young talents in men’s tennis, both born in 2003. Alcaraz won his first ATP title in Umag in 2022, becoming the youngest player to do so since Rafael Nadal in 2004. He also reached the fourth round at the US Open, where he defeated Stefanos Tsitsipas in a thrilling five-setter. Rune won his first ATP title in San Diego in 2022, becoming the youngest player to do so since Kei Nishikori in 2008. He also reached the third round at Wimbledon, where he pushed Novak Djokovic to four sets. Alcaraz and Rune are known for their explosive and aggressive game, as well as their passion and determination. They will be looking to make a breakthrough and win their first Grand Slam title at the Australian Open 2024.
The Australian Open 2024 will offer a record $76.5 million prize money, an increase of 3.4% from 2023. The prize money will be distributed equally among men and women, and among singles and doubles events. The singles champions will receive $3 million each, while the doubles champions will receive $750,000 per pair. The mixed doubles champions will receive $185,000 per pair.
The Australian Open 2024 will also offer 2000 ranking points for the singles champions, which is the same as the other Grand Slams. The doubles champions will receive 2000 points per pair, while the mixed doubles winners will receive 1050 points per pair.
The prize money breakdown for the Australian Open 2024 is as follows:
|Round||Prize Money (AUD)|
|Round of 16||281,250|
How to Watch on TV and Online
If you can’t make it to Melbourne Park, you can still watch the Australian Open 2024 on TV and online. Here are some of the options for different regions:
- In the US, ESPN has the exclusive broadcast rights for the Australian Open. You can watch live matches on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN3, as well as catch up on highlights and replays on ESPN+. You can also stream matches live on the ESPN app or website, with a cable or streaming subscription.
- In Australia, Channel 9 has the free-to-air broadcast rights for the Australian Open. You can watch live matches on Channel 9, 9Gem, and 9Go, as well as catch up on highlights and replays on 9Now. You can also stream matches live on the 9Now app or website, with a free account.
- In other regions, you can check the official website for the list of broadcasters and streaming services that cover the Australian Open. Some of the options include Eurosport, Tennis Channel, Amazon Prime Video, DAZN, etc.
Best Accommodation for Australian Open 2024
If you are planning to attend the Australian Open 2024, the first Grand Slam of the year, you will need a comfortable and convenient place to stay. Why not choose Mega Style Apartments, the premier choice for accommodation in Melbourne?
Mega Style Apartments offers fully furnished apartments in prime locations throughout Melbourne, including some that are close to the venue of the Australian Open 2024, the marvellous Melbourne Park precinct1. You can enjoy the stunning views of the city skyline from your apartment, as well as the modern amenities such as fully-equipped kitchens, complimentary Wi-Fi, swimming pools, and fitness centres. Some apartments are also pet friendly, so you can bring your furry friends along.
You can book your apartment online or by phone, and enjoy the top-tier service from the team at Mega Style Apartments, who are available daily from 8 am to 11 pm. They will ensure that your stay is exceptional and memorable.
You can also immerse yourself in Melbourne’s vibrant lifestyle, with various shops, cafes, and attractions nearby. You can explore the city’s culture, history, and entertainment options, or simply relax in your serene sanctuary after a day of watching the world’s best tennis players compete.
Don’t miss this opportunity to experience the Australian Open 2024 and Melbourne’s charm with Mega Style Apartments. Book your apartment today and get ready for an unforgettable summer of tennis.
To get tickets for the Australian Open 2024, you need to visit Ticketmaster.com.au and sign up or sign in to your My Ticketmaster account. You can also enter the Waiting Room 15-30 minutes before the Presale or General Public Onsale starts. Once you are in the queue, do not refresh your browser or you will lose your spot. When it is your turn, you can select your seats using the interactive seating map or choose from best available options. You can purchase up to 9 seats per session for most sessions or up to 6 seats for semifinals and finals. All tickets are digital and can only be accessed via your mobile device or browser. You will receive a notification when your tickets are ready for download.
Here are some tips and tricks on how to use Ticketmaster’s Smart Queue system:
- Be prepared: Make sure you have a stable internet connection, a compatible device (smartphone, tablet, laptop), and a valid payment method (credit card, debit card, PayPal) ready before you enter the queue.
- Be flexible: If you have a specific session or seat preference, you may have to wait longer or pay more than if you are open to other options. You can also try different dates or times if your preferred session is sold out or unavailable.
- Be quick: Once you are in the queue, you will have a limited time (usually 10 minutes) to complete your purchase. If you exceed this time limit or leave the queue, you will lose your spot and have to start over. So make sure you have all your details ready and don’t hesitate too much.
- Be safe: To ensure a safe and secure transaction, do not share your tickets with anyone else or post them on any other website or platform. Only tickets purchased from Ticketmaster or the resale platform are valid and guaranteed entry to the event.
Here are some of the ticket options for different sessions and venues:
- Ground Pass: This is the cheapest and most flexible option, as it gives you access to all outdoor courts and practice courts, as well as the AO Live Stage and AO Fan Zone. You can watch some of the action from the first week to the quarterfinals, as well as some of the doubles and mixed doubles matches. The price ranges from $45 to $65, depending on the day and time.
- Reserved Seat: This is the best option if you want to secure a seat in one of the main venues: Rod Laver Arena, Margaret Court Arena, or John Cain Arena. You can watch some of the best matches from the first round to the finals, as well as some of the doubles and mixed doubles matches. The price ranges from $75 to $550+, depending on the venue, session, and seat location.
- Courtside Bar: This is a new and exclusive option for the Australian Open 2024, as it gives you access to a premium bar and lounge area next to Rod Laver Arena, as well as a reserved seat in Rod Laver Arena. You can watch some of the best matches from the first round to the finals, while enjoying some of the best food and drink in Melbourne. The price ranges from $250 to $750+, depending on the session and seat location.
You can purchase your tickets online via Ticketmaster.com.au or onsite at one of the box offices at Melbourne Park. You can also check out some of the packages and offers that are available for groups, families, students, etc.
What else do I need to know and how to enjoy the Australian Open 2024?
The Australian Open 2024 will be held at Melbourne Park, which is a world-class sporting and entertainment complex in the heart of Melbourne. The main venues are Rod Laver Arena, Margaret Court Arena, John Cain Arena, and Melbourne Arena. There are also several outdoor courts and practice courts where you can catch some of the action.
The Australian Open 2024 will feature some of the best players in the world, such as Novak Djokovic, Ashleigh Barty, Aryna Sabalenka, Rafael Nadal, Naomi Osaka, Daniil Medvedev, and many more. You can check out the full schedule of play and draw on the official website or app.
The weather in Melbourne can be unpredictable, so it is advisable to dress in layers and bring a hat, sunscreen, sunglasses, and a raincoat or umbrella. You can also bring a small bag with some snacks and drinks, but note that there are some restrictions on what you can bring into the venue. You can find more information on what to bring and what not to bring on the official website.
There are also plenty of food and drink options available at Melbourne Park, ranging from fine dining to fast food, from coffee to cocktails, from local to international cuisines. You can also enjoy some of the entertainment and activities that are offered throughout the event, such as live music, art installations, fan zones, kids zones, etc. You can find more information on what’s on at the official website or app.
Here are some tips and tricks on how to enjoy the Australian Open 2024:
- Plan ahead: Book your tickets, accommodation, and transportation in advance, as they may sell out or increase in price closer to the event. You can also download the official app or follow the social media accounts for the latest news and updates.
- Arrive early: Allow enough time to get to Melbourne Park from your location, as there may be traffic or public transport delays. You can also take advantage of the free tram service that runs between Flinders Street Station and Melbourne Park. Once you arrive at Melbourne Park, allow enough time to go through security checks and find your seat.
- Explore: Don’t limit yourself to one venue or court. There are many other courts and areas where you can watch some of the action or have some fun. You can also visit some of the attractions and landmarks near Melbourne Park, such as Federation Square1, Yarra River2, Royal Botanic Gardens3, etc.
- Interact: Don’t be shy to chat with other fans or players. You may make some new friends or learn some new things. You can also join some of the online communities or forums where you can share your opinions or experiences.
- Have fun: Don’t forget to have fun and enjoy yourself. The Australian Open 2024 is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to witness some of the best tennis in the world and have some of the best time in Melbourne.
the best food and drink in Melbourne, or have some fun with some of the best entertainment and activities in town, there is something for everyone at the Australian Open 2024. Don’t miss out on this opportunity and get your tickets today!
The Australian Open 2024 is set to be an amazing experience for fans and players alike. With a new format, a new start date, and a new vibe, it is an event not to be missed. Whether you want to watch some of the best tennis in the world, enjoy some of the best food and drink in Melbourne, or have some fun with some of the best entertainment and activities in town, there is something for everyone at the Australian Open 2024. Don’t miss out on this opportunity and get your tickets today!
If you are looking for a place to stay during the Australian Open 2024, look no further than Mega Style Apartments, the best short-term rentals accommodation provider in Melbourne. Mega Style Apartments offers spacious, stylish, and comfortable apartments that are conveniently located near Melbourne Park and other attractions. You can choose from a range of options that suit your needs and budget, from studio apartments to penthouses. You can also enjoy some of the amenities and services that Mega Style Apartments provides, such as free Wi-Fi, fully equipped kitchens, laundry facilities, balconies, swimming pools, gyms, etc. Book your apartment today and enjoy the ultimate Australian Open 2024 experience with Mega Style Apartments!